Tooth decay can result in damage to the tooth, and putting in dental fillings is a simple and common solution for this problem. It restores the proper function of the tooth, and it also helps to improve its appearance. The fillings close of possible entry points for bacteria to prevent further damage to the tooth. In addition, the dental fillings alleviate the resulting sensitivity due to the enamel loss caused by the tooth decay.
The routine dental checkup performed during a typical dental checkup can let the dentist find the tooth decay easily and quickly. Once detected, the decayed material will be removed. The dentist cleans the area, and then fills in the resulting space with fillings. These fillings can be made with porcelain, gold, a composite resin, or an amalgam.
Fillings are excellent solutions when problems with the teeth are detected early. Putting in these fillings is comparatively easier and more affordable than other restorative options.
Tooth Decay Prevention
Dental experts offer many definite recommendations as to what you can do to contribute to your dental health. Dental issues can be prevented with the following tips offered by these experts:
- Brush 2x a day and use fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss or use an interdental cleaner once a day.
- Visit your dentist at least once every 6 months.
- Discuss the use of dental sealants with your dentist.
- Also ask your dentist about supplemental fluoride treatment.
- Eat a balanced diet and limit snacking between meals.
- When enjoying snacks, go with healthier, sugar-free options.
You can do your part to preserve your oral health, but regular visits to the dentist are still an integral part of dental hygiene.